As our followers and site visitors know, we have completed 100 interviews with Americans who are 50-plus and unemployed, and now we are working on a documentary that will explore more fully the issues raised in those interviews.
We began this project almost exactly two years ago, so we are now conducting a survey of our 100 project participants and asking them the following questions:
- Have you been able to return to work?
- If so, how long were you unemployed?
- Please summarize what impact unemployment has had on you and your family financially, physically and emotionally.
- If you have been able to get back to work:
- Are you working full-time or part-time?
- How do your current pay and benefits compare to what your received previously?
- What tips or advice would you give to other older workers who are trying to find a job?
- Overall, how has your life changed as a consequence of job loss at the age of 50-plus?
- What does the American Dream mean to you today? What did it mean to you when you began working?
We will update our project participants’ pages when we receive their responses and post some of their answers on our social media. We look forward to reconnecting with our interviewees and sharing their updates.